It has been awhile since there has been a major title like COD or Battlefield set during WW II, and I find it a fascinating time in history, and provides a wealth of weapons and geographic settings. The battlefield series of video games relies on the formula of a varied number of infantry and vehicle options
During WW II infantry weapons went through a number of advancements.
- For the first time a major army was armed with semi-automatic rifles for their standard front line weapon, the US M1 Garand.
- The submachine gun evolved from extremely well built guns like the Thompson submachine gun to cheap mass-produced, but very functional guns like the German MP 40.
- The light machine gun became more portable and reliable and therefore saw much greater use on the battlefield
- The shoulder fired rocket launchers became available and gave light armor and tanks a lot of annoyance from foot solders hiding in the shrubs and in the rubble of Europe's bombed out cities
Vehicles on the ground were prevalent and varied
- In WWI tanks were unreliable, slow, and saw limited action. In WW II the tank had evolved into lightweight and fast forms to the nearly unstoppable huge German tanks
- Lightweight armored vehicles and even jeeps with mounted machine guns and recoilless rifles saw use on the battlefield.
In the air
- Dedicated ground attack aircraft could be called in to strike heavily entrenched, or highly concentrated troops.
- Fighters took to the skies to take out enemy bombers and other fighters.
- Massive bombers carpet-bombed both the battlefield and cities
Post a Comment